Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Catorce de Mayo




I made this sketch in order to highlight the beauty of Mexican culture. I absolutely adore the vibrancy and liveliness that is often found in the Mexican culture. Everything from clothing to music seems simply alive. The necklace is from the Relative Culture leather line and it is made of Deerskin Leather and Mexican Peacock Ore- it is one of the most vibrant and naturally beautiful minerals that I have ever come across. I swear every time I wear this necklace, I feel stunning, more upbeat, and more comfortable being a "stand out". I am more noticeable and complimented when I wear this necklace so I suppose "Peacock" Ore is quite the appropriate name!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay- so I realize that today is "Catorce de Mayo" and, as far as I am informed, there is no highly recognized, historically relevant celebration in the Mexican or American culture in honor of this day. Buuuuuuuut- seeing as I was still M.I.A on May 5th, I am going to revisit the past in today's blog post and briefly talk about the significance of Cinco de Mayo.

May 5th is historically recognized as the day that the out-numbered, ill-equipped, Mexican army defeated the French army in the 1862 Battle of Puebla. It is celebrated in parts of Mexico (mostly Puebla) as El Día de la Batalla de Puebla in honor of the Mexican underdogs who fought for their land. Cinco de Mayo originated in the U.S. where it was brought to light by the Mexican-American community.  Cinco de Mayo is seen as a day to celebrate Mexican heritage. It is an appreciation of Mexican culture and tradition and it is celebrated by both Mexican and non-Mexican Americans.

Unless you are very new to this blog, I'm sure you can understand why I am all for a proper Cinco de Mayo celebration... no, not because I love cultural celebrations... well, sorta, but because I love cultural mash-ups! America is so diverse and shaped by cultures from all over the world but this worldly influence can sometimes be forgotten. It is great to recognize and, above all, respect the many different cultures and people that shape America and shape what it means to be an American.


Con amor infinita,
The Frohemian


No comments:

Post a Comment