Sunday, April 5, 2015

Easter: D.I.Ys and Ovos Demais



Unfortunately, being so far from home makes it near impossible to spend holidays with family but that didn’t stop me from spending Easter with loved ones this year. I had quite a lovely traditional Easter celebration in southern Brazil with the warm and welcoming family of a friend. Participating in holiday festivities with my friend’s family made me realize that regardless of location, language or family size, there is a familiar warmth that can be found in the nucleus of every family holiday celebration.

There are so many great craft possibilities during Easter time, so when I wasn’t borrowing someone else’s family, I was thinking up Easter projects that involved a little creativity, a few cultural traditions, and a lot of fun. That’s when I settled on my first project- “The Fruit Bearing Egg”…


During Easter in Brazil, it is quite common to walk into any ordinary supermarket and suddenly find yourself in a forest of low-hanging bright and shiny plastic-wrapped chocolate eggs of all sizes. The chocolate egg shells can be filled with anything from little candies to toys and even jewelry. I love the buzz that surrounds these eggs but I found most of them to be quite pricey, especially considering that what was inside most of the eggs did not quite appeal to me. Therefore, I decided to make my own chocolate egg and fill it with chocolate dipped fruit! My vote says it was the best decision of the week. Not to mention, quite the money saver!


(supermarket during Easter time)

 Although I made a bit of a mess, making the chocolate egg was quite simple really and my friends LOVED it. Just some cut fruit, sprinkles, and a few bars of melted chocolate (I’m a lover of dark chocolate but the white chocolate and milk chocolate added a little pupil appeal). It turned out to be an absolutely delectable bouquet full of fresh strawberries, bananas, mangos, a pineapple, orange slices, and kiwi. Yum!


My second project for the day was “Petaled Eggs” which were also pretty simple and so fun to make!

Even though the rain has hardly ceased since Saturday night, I woke up on Sunday morning determined to go flower picking as a little reminder of Easter back home. It is autumn down here but I have grown up recognizing Easter as the official arrival of spring and the return of all the beautiful hues that make up my father’s garden back home. After my brief nature walk in search of “wild” growing flowers, I returned home with a good sized bundle and put them in a basket. Seeing as it is Easter, I thought that it would make more sense to put decorated eggs in the basket, but the flowers were so presentable, so I decided to take the best of both worlds and cover the eggs in my recently collected flowers. 


All I needed for this project was:
  1. A variety of multi-colored flowers (I had to leave mine out to dry for a few hours)
  2. Hardboiled eggs
  3. Adhesive (I used simple white, clear-dry school glue)

 Directions:
  1. Boil eggs and let cool and dry.
  2. Use your fingers or a small paintbrush to rub a good layer of glue on the egg in the spot you want to stick the flower.
  3. Very lightly spread glue onto the edges of the flower to ensure that it sticks completely and set the completed egg aside to let dry.
*It might be best to seal the flowers if you just happen to have clear nail polish around. I didn't and everything turned out fine.


Boom! It’s that easy.

This project kinda made me wish that egg decorating was a year-round activity. Oh, the ideas for next year are already swirling in my head!

Anyway, I hope you lovelies have a wonderful, love-filled, chocolate-filled holiday. Until next time!

With infinite love,
The Frohemian

No comments:

Post a Comment